Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 - Best Books of the Year

Professional book reviewers often compile lists of their favorite books at the end of the year. There's lots to choose from and the experts don't always agree.  As 2013 comes to a close, have you thought about compiling your own list?

This year, my favorites included the novels Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan and Visitation Street by Ivy Pochada.  Of the nonviction titles I read, Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo and Cooked by Michael Pollan top my list.  What about you?  What have you read this year?

And, because I always have two or three books by my bed, I'm already thinking about what I'll read next.  Here are some popular lists for the "Best Books of 2013" that I'll definitely explore for my 2014 reading.



The Chicago Tribune/Printer's Row
Flavorwire
Goodreads
The Los Angeles Times
The New York Times
Slate
The Washington Post

No comments: