Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Louise Fili: Books & Book Covers on Display Beginning June 9

Beginning today, June 9th, the books and book cover designs of Louise Fili will be on display in the library's outer lobby as one in a series of Art at the Lake Forest Library exhibits.  Fili designed some 2000 book jackets as art director of Pantheon Books from 1978-1989.  She then opened her own design studio, Louise Fili Ltd., where she has specialized in the design of food packaging and restaurant identities.


In a 2013 interview with Tina Essmaker for THE GREAT DISCONTENT magazine, Ms. Fili was asked if creativity had been part of her childhood.  Here's her reply:
My parents, who were very old-world Italian, were immigrant schoolteachers and couldn't make anything out of my interest in art, so I was really on my own, which I think is just as well.  I learned to navigate around my interests in art and books. On Saturdays, I used to go the public library and spend the day there, reading and looking at books, although as I recall I wasn't just looking inside - I was studying the covers, too.  I enjoyed the whole tactile quality of books.
Listed here are books by Louise Fili and books co-written with her husband Steven Heller, Art Director at the New York Times.


Books by Louise Fili

Titles owned by Lake Forest Library are in bold with call number.  Other titles are available through Inter-library loan (ILL) to LF cardholders.

 



Elegantissima: the Design & Typography of Louise Fili
Princeton Architectural Press, 2012.
741.6 ELE







Little Bookroom, 2008.

945 FIL
 

Princeton Architectural Press, 2014
686 FIL

Little Bookroom, 2007.  ILL

With Steven Heller


Chronicle Books, 1998.  ILL
Chronicle Books, 1997.  ILL


Chronicle Books, 1997.  ILL


Chronicle Books, 2004.
741.6 HEL


French Modern: Art Deco Graphic Design  Chronicle Books, 1997.  ILL



Thames & Hudson, 2012. 745.61 HEL

Streamline: American Art Deco Graphic Design  Chronicle Books, 1995.  ILL


Thames & Hudson, 2015. 745.73 HEL

No comments: